Education & Community
Young Artist Auditions
The HSO Young Artist Auditions provide young musicians an opportunity to perform as soloists with a professional symphony orchestra and give recognition to these dedicated young musicians for their talent and accomplishments.Registration for 2012-2013 is limited to the first 25 entries or November 30, 2012.
- January 5, 2013: Young Artist Auditions, Randolph School Thurber Arts Center
- January 6, 2013: Winners Recital, Randolph School Thurber Arts Center
- February 27 - March 2, 2013: HSO Rehearsal and Concerts, VBC
- November 30, 2012, 5pm: Registration Deadline
Registration is now closed.
Overall winners of the Young Artists Auditions selected to solo with the HSO are not eligible to compete in the auditions on ANY instrument during the season immediately following their selection.
Any student through twelfth grade in ONE of the following categories is eligible to compete:
- A resident of one of the following counties: Alabama: Colbert, Cullman, DeKalb, Franklin, Jackson, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Morgan, Winston. Tennessee: Giles, Franklin, Lincoln.
- A member of the Huntsville Youth Orchestra or Huntsville Symphony Orchestra.
- A son, daughter, or ward of a member of the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra.
- A student of a music teacher residing in Madison County, Alabama.
- A student of a member of the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra.
- Judges will be drawn from prominent regional musicians.
- Contestants will be judged on degree of difficulty, tone, rhythm, style, execution, memory, and musicianship.
- Adjudicators reserve the right to chose more than one winner or not select a winner.
- Contact with judges is not allowed by participant, parent or teacher. Students will be disqualified if any such contact is made.
- Participants will receive comment sheets by mail.
- Auditions will be held on Saturday, January 5, 2013, at Randolph School's Thurber Art Center. These auditions are CLOSED to the public.
- Contestants will be notified of their audition times.
- Dress Code: Sunday dress is acceptable. No formal wear, i.e. no tuxedos or long gowns. Girls: Dresses or skirts and blouses (a cardigan in the color of yoru choice worn over the dress is acceptable). No sequins. No flip flops. Boys: White button down shirt (no T-shirts or ties). Black or khaki trousers with belt (no jeans). Dress shoes (no sneakers or tennis shoes).
- All applicants must be available for the Winners Recital on Sunday, January 6, 2013, 5:30 p.m. at Randolph School's Thurber Arts Center (open to the public) and the Young People's and Family Concert Series February 27 thru March 2, 2013, at the Mark C. Smith Concert Hall of the VBC.
- Finalists will compete in the Winners' Recital for the opportunity to play with the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra at the Young People's and/or Family Concert Series. Performers' schedules are determined at the discretion of the HSO.
- Due to sharply increased music performance costs, all applicants and their teachers MUST review repertoire selections with the HSO. Please call the HSO librarian at 256-539-4818 as soon as possible.
- Music rental fees may be incurred by those selected to perform with the HSO.
- Each contestant is to perform one movement of a concerto or long form piece with orchestral accompaniment from the standard concerto repertoire. To qualify, selected repertoire must be an original composition for solo instrument with orchestral accompaniment. Ensembles and arrangements do not qualify.
- Duration of repertoire selection must be ten (10) minutes or less. Selections longer than ten (10) minutes will be subject to disqualification.
- The current Music Director of the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra may require that additional cuts to the length of the selection be made before it is performed with the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra on any concert. If cuts are to be made, they will be decided exclusively by the Music Director and the decision is final and without appeal.
- The performer must provide an accompanist to perform the orchestral part of the audition.
- Each contestant must provide one high-quality copy and one original copy of his/her music to the judges (total two copies). If the contestant fails to do so, he/she will be disqualified.
- Finalists will play at the Winners' Recital and will also receive a cash prize. The Winners' Recital will be held at Randolph School's Thurber Art Center and is open to the public.
- Overall winner(s) will solo with the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra during the Young People's and Family Concert Series and will receive an additional cash prize.